Progamer to Programmer

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hair Part II

When I decided to grow my hair long, it was because I wanted to prove a point. To my eyes, the world seemed to give more emphasis to appearances than to essence. Nevermind that you weren't a jerk - what mattered more was that you looked physically pleasing. Nevermind that you blatantly cheated during exams - what mattered more was that you got high marks. Nevermind that you'd be more qualified for a job - chances are, that job would go to someone who graduated from college [even if he just asked someone else to do his thesis for him].

I realize now that I was probably too focused on the negative side of things. In the end, people would still realize that the jerk was a jerk. The cheater would pass the course without acquiring knowledge and skills. The job hunter would still keep or lose his job depending on his performance. The world is still just [or am I just being naive?]. But I digress.

I made the choice not to cut my hair until I accomplished certain things. My hair first grew to the length where it prickles your neck, and I had a hard time sleeping because of that. Then it grew even longer. I don't think my mom/sisters really liked the way I looked - they'd always bring up some way of making me more presentable. They gave me this hairnet-like thingy, but I never had the patience to put it on properly, and I ended up wearing it like some sort of bandanna. I also took to growing this beard, which made me look like a terrorist. I always kept receiving wisecracks about working for Abu Sayyaf/Al-Queda. I also noticed that people would give me strange looks. Older people would give me these stares, and women walking alone at night would quicken their pace after catching a glimpse of me.

[to be continued]

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • "I always kept receiving wisecracks about working for Abu Sayyaf/Al-Queda."

    from looking at the pic.. no surprise there. LOL.

    I suppose when I grew my hair there was that similar feeling of trying to prove a point, but I think it's more of just plain trying to be different for me. XD

    good to see ya bloggin' again XD

    -seth

    By Blogger Shandelseth, at 1:51 PM  

  • Dude! It's useful if only to keep other people away at night.

    I grew my hair because I had the idea that it looked good, and also I'm too cheap to get a haircut every month. :P

    I suspect you actually proved your point. That's our friggin' universe for you!

    By Blogger Gaebril, at 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home